About the Festival Producer
The Sunshine State Book Festival is presented by Writers Alliance of Gainesville (WAG) a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization of more than 170 local writers.
The Writers Alliance of Gainesville is a thriving group of individual authors who write in many diverse genres and subject areas. As a community, we are building relationships with each other to help us foster our love for literature and creative expression.
The Writers Alliance of Gainesville (WAG) promotes, encourages and supports aspiring and experienced regional writers. This goal is accomplished via WAG monthly meetings, public readings, ongoing small critique groups, a marketing coalition, a literary review, writing contest, and collaborations with schools and civic organizations to foster creative expression through the written word.
In the community:
- WAG sponsors a monthly program at the Alachua County Library’s Millhopper Branch, 3145 NW 43rd Street, Gainesville, FL 32606. These programs, which are free and open to the public, cover various aspects of writing and publishing.
- WAG annually publishes the Bacopa Literary Review which is international in scope, receiving submissions from all over the world.
- WAG has previously partnered with the Alachua County District Library to present the Local Author Series of monthly readings at library headquarters, 401 East University Avenue, Gainesville, FL 32601.
- The WAG Speakers Bureau makes available members of WAG for presentations to local groups on a variety of topics.
- WAG annually sponsors a program called ArtSpeaks, which encourages young poets to develop and express their talents. The program is held at Gainesville’s historic Thomas Center, and includes student poets from all Alachua County High Schools.
For more information or to join WAG click here to visit our website